Tuesday 22 January 2019

DAY 5: Wasting Away Week 2 Activity 1: Off the Menu

Fishing is a really common activity in New Zealand. In fact, people have fished in New Zealand for centuries. Unfortunately, over the past few decades some people have caught too many fish in one area and left the region without enough fish to replenish the stocks. When this happens we call the area ‘over fished’ and it is closed to all private and commercial fishing. If people are caught fishing in these areas, they are required to pay a fine. The maximum fine for fishing in a restricted area is $100 000.
What do you think about this rule? Is it fair that people are charged up to $100 000 for over fishing? leave a comment and tell me.


I think that it is a good rule. It is a good rule because if it wasn't there than lots of people would just fish and fish and fish till there were no fish left and that means no more fish and chips.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Justice,

    Amelia here! Great job on completing the first activity for today. I agree with you on how this is a good rule! However, I think that it would be more fair if we put the price down a little bit because 100 000 is a huge amount of money. I really liked how you said there will be no more fish and chips! This one made me laugh. But, I am totally on your side because I am a big fan of fish and chips!

    Anyways great work Justice! Keep it up and I will stay tune for more posts!!

    Cheers,
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Justice, it's Billy here again from the Summer Learning Journey team. Thanks for completing another activity and sharing your thoughts on whether a fine of up to $100,000 for people who are caught over fishing is fair or not.

    I agree with you. I think it is a good idea because it will hopefully prevent people from taking the risk. I also immediately thought of the local fish and chip shops. It would be terrible if you could only get hot chips and no fish!

    Have you ever been fishing before?

    Thanks. Billy.

    ReplyDelete