Tuesday 8 January 2019

Day five Activity 3: Going, going….gone

"Oh, you've never heard of New Zealand. Well, it's where I grew up, it was the place that I lived in, it was beautiful. Lots of people, well 4 ish million. The biggest city in the country was Auckland, the capital was Wellington. There were lots of rivers and a strip of mountains on the South Island. Oh yes, there were two islands, one in the north and the other in the south. Although the northern one was smaller there were more people on the island than the other. There were lots of vast areas of bush all over the country that were good for hunting. The longest river was the Waikato river. I lived in Auckland. I loved it there. There were a lot of things to do there. My home was close to an estuary/beach was a very convenient on hot days. You could drive almost anywhere in the country in a full 24 hour day. A beach was never far away, you could drive to so many beaches. I remember burning my feet on the black sand at the beaches on the east coast of Auckland, watching the surf and listening to the bird song. In the mornings at my house when the sun started to rise the birds calling would wake me up with the din. It is sad to me that my beautiful homeland now rests with the fish. My mum would ask me where will the spirits jump from now if Cape Reinga is gone? I used to to joke Mt Everest - she never laughed."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Justice,

    This is Ms Nalder. I enjoyed reading your blog post describing NZ before it sank into the ocean! (I hope that never happens!) You really do living in a pretty special place close to the estuary. I remember when I used to come to school early in the morning before the kids arrived and I would see the sun come up over the reserve - it was so beautiful!

    I am not working at Pt England anymore as I am looking after my little daughter, Laila. We are living in Nelson in the South Island. Nelson is lovely - a much smaller place than Auckland. I miss Pt England and the kids and teachers lots though!

    How was your year last year? I see you had Mr Wiseman as your teacher, lucky you! He's pretty funny isn't he?!

    I hope you have a wonderful year this year as a big Year 8!

    From Ms Nalder

    ReplyDelete